Driver's license for the U.S.

Permis de conduire pour louer une voiture aux États-UnisMany travellers ask whether they need to have a special license to rent a car in the U.S.

The answer is simple: it is best to have an international license when driving in the U.S. if you want to avoid any hassles and rent a car without difficulties. However, it is not mandatory.

According to U.S. law, your ESTA travel authorization and a valid license from your country of residence should be enough to rent a car.

But in practice, more and more car rental companies require an international license to rent a car. For this reason, it is advisable to find out before your departure which companies require an international license.

Your license must use the Latin alphabet.

Principal and additional drivers must have had their driver's license for at least 12 months. In all case, car rental companies will only rent vehicles to people 21 years of age and older.

Good to know

For European residents, a Class B license is required.

You must also have your original license in your possession AT ALL TIMES. Your international license will not be accepted without your original license, and you will not be able to pick up your car.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The client must provide a credit card in the name of the principal driver. This means that, when picking up your car, you must present a driver's license, an international license, a passport and a credit card in the same name. In general, rental companies will pre-authorize an amount on your credit card corresponding to the deductible payable in the event of an accident.

Similar topics