RV rental: what type of driver's license do I need?

Permis de conduire pour la location de RV While planning their U.S. RV trip, many visitors ask whether they need an international driver's license to rent their RV in the U.S.

The answer is simple: yes, you do. In addition to a valid driver's license from your country of residence, you must have an international license.

Your original license must meet both of the following conditions:

1 - It must use the Latin alphabet.

2 - Principal and additional drivers must have had their driver's license for at least 12 months. In all case, rental companies will only rent vehicles to people 21 years of age and older.

* For more information about international licenses, please contact the institution that issued your driver's license. Note that it may take several weeks to receive your international license.

Good to know

For European residents, a Class B license is required.


The client must provide a credit card in the name of the principal driver. This means that, when picking up your RV, you must present a driver's license, an international license, a passport and a credit card in the same name. In general, rental companies will pre-authorize an amount on your credit card corresponding to the deductible payable in the event of an accident.

Similar topics